When Kara googled “mosquito control,” she clicked on a link and the popup said, “The way to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard is to prevent them from breeding.” It then told her to scatter coffee grounds around her front porch.
“I don’t think so,” she said, and then she called Budget Brothers Termite & Pest Elimination.
Sometimes You Need To Get Rid of Mosquitoes, Even in Arizona
You may have heard it before: “We don’t have mosquitoes in Arizona.” That’s not exactly true, especially this year.
Our monsoon season is from July-September. Meteorologist Kim Quintero of 3TV says Phoenix has been having a particularly active Monsoon 2021. We’ve had more-than-usual rainfall in Maricopa County and The Valley. There’s been a lot of pooled rainwater. It becomes stagnant and then is the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.
The Maricopa County Department of Environmental Services (MCDES) have put out about 800 traps every week since our mosquito problem began. They then collect a representative number of those traps and based on their findings, know which areas to fog.
Unfortunately, 184 of those traps tested positive for West Nile virus. If you’re like a lot of homeowners – especially parents – you want to set your own mosquito traps or have a professional treatment that targets your property.
Mosquito-Proof Your Home Outside
A small, discarded water bottle cap holding standing water can breed hundreds of mosquitos, says Quintero. Most of us have pristine front yards but backyards are family playgrounds. They’re also where you’ll find more mosquitoes.
Do you enjoy gardening? Here are some fragrant plants that are natural mosquito-repellants:
- Lemon balm
MCDES’ Backyard Checklist for Maricopa County residents has some valuable tips:
Get rid of standing water to get rid of mosquitoes.
- Cover rainwater barrels with mesh/screen.
- Don’t allow rainwater to stand for more than four days.
- Empty and flip wading pools when not in use.
- Keep decorative fountains operational or drain them.
- Remove any water that collects on swimming pool covers.
- Remove children’s toys, cups, etc. from yard.
- Remove/drain standing water from:
- Discarded tires
- Remove or drill holes in unused containers so water can’t collect.
Inspect your home’s exterior and property to get rid of mosquitoes.
- Check knots in trees for stagnant water.
- Clean/remove air conditioner drain hoses frequently.
- Clear leaves/twigs from eaves, troughs, storm/roof gutters.
- Fill in any low-depression areas on your lawn.
- If you have a flat roof, check often for standing water.
- Make sure drainage ditches are not clogged.
- Remove dense shrubbery where mosquitoes breed.
- Repair leaky pipes and outside faucets.
Protect Yourself: Keep Mosquitoes Out of the House
As much as you may dislike the idea of toxic chemicals, especially wearing them, you should use insect repellent during our monsoon season. The most effective mosquito repellents contain:
- Lemon oil
To protect yourself and your home’s interior, avoid active mosquito times and block possible entry and exit points.
- Anytime you see light peeking through next to a door or window, that’s an entry point for mosquitoes. Repair and/or seal.
- Avoid gardening, etc. early morning and evening when mosquitoes are most active. Stay indoors from dusk to dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Do not apply repellent on children under two years of age.
- Do not apply repellent to children’s hands, or near eyes or the mouth.
- If possible, spray clothing with repellents containing DEET. (Mosquitoes “bite through” thin clothing.)
- Keep doors/windows closed from dusk to dawn.
- Refresh/refill pets’ water regularly.
- Some mosquito traps are okay for indoor use. Ask your local pest professional.
- When outdoors during active mosquito times, cover up and use insect repellent. (Follow manufacturer’s directions.)
- Window/door screens should fit tightly. Repair any holes.
Arizona Mosquito Control
If you have a mosquito problem, call Budget Brothers Termite & Pest Elimination and let’s discuss your options. Soon, Monsoon 2021 will be history. For now, our priority is protecting your safety and health by quick elimination of mosquitoes in your yard and home. Contact us for more information.
For fast, affordable, and effective service, contact us or call Budget Brothers today at 602-253-2495