Pest control professionals are required to have a license and specialized training when handling the materials necessary to control the pests in and around our Phoenix homes. While knowledgeable pros will avoid treating rooms with fish and birds, it’s important to exercise pest control safety with your pets and children too.
It’s important to avoid over-the-counter pesticides since it’s possible to use them inappropriately. Kids and pets can also get into them, causing more pest control safety concerns. There are safer ways to manage pest control safety and trusting the professionals at Budget Brothers Termite & Pest Elimination is one of those ways.
Pest Control Safety
Just because you use a direct spray to kill bugs doesn’t mean the pesticide is in one place. “These chemicals become airborne and cling to dust particles, where we can easily inhale them,” says Dr. David Carpenter, director of the Institute for Health and the Environment, University at Albany. The proper application of pest control materials is important in ensuring everyone’s safety.
One way to manage pest control safety is to take the necessary steps to prevent a pest infestation in the first place.
Pest Prevention is Key
Which is more harmful to your family; the bugs themselves or the pesticide? Roaches and mouse droppings carry allergens. Flies and mosquitos carry germs and diseases. Pests like bedbugs don’t pose life-threatening risks, but pesticides may. Ways to reduce the risks of infestation include:
- “Clutter” should be kept to a minimum.
- Clean under the refrigerator and behind the stove as often as possible. The tiny spaces between counters and large appliances are another area where food debris can collect.
- Clean up food spills/crumbs immediately.
- Gutters should be kept clean and free of leaves and trash.
- House exteriors should be mold-free and moisture-free.
- Firewood should be stored some distance from the house.
- Plants and shrubs should be about 12″ from the house.
- Window trims should be free of leaks or cracks.
- Water should drain away from the house.
- Keep countertops, floors, sinks, stovetops, and tabletops clean, especially after meals.
- Keep sinks, countertops, and floors clean and dry. Moisture attracts several types of pests.
- Outdoor toys should be clean and free from standing water.
- Put trash in a container with a tight lid.
- Rinse recyclables.
- Store foods in airtight containers. Roaches are attracted to cardboard, so minimize cardboard storage.
- Take out the trash daily. Outdoor bins should be as far from the house as possible.
Your Phoenix-Area Pest Control Professionals
Fortunately, one of the top pest control companies in Arizona is right here in Maricopa County. Budget Brothers Termite and Pest Elimination is a family business, and we believe protecting your family is our business.
Before we treat your home’s exterior and yard, we recommend:
- Keeping children out of the yard for the length of time needed for the materials to completely dry.
- Remove children’s toys from your yard.
- Tightly cover sandboxes.
Afterward, do a general wipe-down of large toys (swing sets, slides, etc.).
And remember that we don’t treat rooms with fish or birds as your family’s safety is a top priority for us.
Finally, we’ll provide instructions for pest management, whether it’s a one-time treatment or regular pest control.
When you know more about pest management, you make knowledge-based decisions. We can help. Contact Budget Brothers Pest and Termite Elimination of Phoenix to learn more about pest control safety.