What You Need to Know About Rats
Let’s face it: rats have gotten a bad rap. In movies, they’re portrayed as disgusting creatures that live in sewers and eat trash. About the only positive representation of rats is through Rattatouie, the Disney movie about the rat chef. But just like in that film, if you saw a rat in the kitchen, you’d freak out.
So what do you need to know about rats to keep your home and family safe?
Rats Can Be Big Pests
Even though some people may think rats have cute little faces (and even keep them as pets), the feral rats are anything but friendly. With their natural habitats disappearing, they tend to find shelter inside homes, usually attics and high places. Since rats are quite small, they can enter a building through a small 1/2” crack, setting up residence quickly. In fact, rats can live in a home or building for years before they’re noticed since they’re nocturnal and generally very quiet. It’s the smell that causes homeowners to want them out — that and the fear of rats in general.
How Can You Tell If You Have Rats?
Rats are nature’s ultimate survivors and can be devious opponents, hiding for long periods of time.
Fortunately, the astute homeowner can keep their eyes out for some key signs that they may have visitors.
– Banana shaped feces in pantries, garages, or closets
– Scratching noises in the walls or attics
– Bite marks or chewed through phone, cable, or appliance cords
Another warning sign is if neighbors have mentioned rats on their property or in their homes. Rats are equal opportunity offenders and are happy to move into your house also.
What to Do If You Have Rats
Like any other wild animal, they should not be approached except by a professional. They will bite when threatened, and even if you know that only 1% or less contracts rabies, you should never take the chance that you have been bitten by the 99%. Remember: rabies is a fatal disease unless treated immediately.
If you suspect an infestation or see them close to your home at night or early morning, you should call the trained professionals at Budget Brothers Termite & Pest Elimination.
After an inspection has been completed, if they are present, the next step is performing an exclusion. Many homeowners panic and immediately seal all of the small crevices and holes, the rats may escape into your living quarters or die in the attic, both of which lead to much bigger problems. An exclusion is necessary to remove all of the rats, at which time the home can be sealed.
While there are many commercially available approaches to removing them from your property, the best approach is to leave it in the hands of professionals. Poisons can harm children or pets. And since the rats won’t necessarily die right away, they may make their way into a wall or crawl space. This can put your family in additional danger.
A Simple Solution
We’ve said it a number of times. If you suspect you have rats, whether it’s scratching at walls, droppings in or outside of your house, just call a professional at Budget Brothers Termite & Pest Elimination at 602-253-2495.