Wasps and other insects love making their nests in and around homes throughout Arizona. It can be quite scary if it happens to you. These flying creatures are known to be aggressive, and they are capable of stinging multiple times. This means they can pose a serious threat to you, your family, and your pets. If you discover a wasp nest on your property, follow these tips to stay safe.
- Close Your Windows and Doors – Go around your house and double-check all of your windows and doors. You don’t want wasps sneaking inside your home and stinging your loved ones.
- Seal Any Cracks and Crevices – Wasps look for any way they might be able to get into your home. Because of this, cracks and crevices are attractive nest sites. Once the current nest is removed, you don’t want there to be anywhere else for them to go.
- Cover Your Trash – Readily available garbage can attract many common pests, wasps among them. If you keep your trash cans outside, be sure to cover them with a secure lid at all times. If your trash can doesn’t have a lid, you may want to consider buying a new one or requesting one from your local waste company.
- Keep Your Children and Pets Inside – Until you have ensured the wasp nest is gone for good, keep your kids and pets safely indoors. They are unlikely to fully understand proper wasp safety, so don’t give them a chance to get stung.
- Check Your Beverages – If you enjoy sugary drinks like soda or juice, always check inside before drinking. Wasps love sugar, and they’ll wriggle into cans or bottles to get to the good stuff. If you take a sip without checking first, you could be in for a nasty surprise!
- Alert Your Neighbors – As soon as you are aware that you have a wasp problem, take a moment to let your neighbors know. They’ll want to be aware so they can keep their kids and pets indoors as well.
- Approach the Nest – Most wasp species are incredibly territorial, especially around their nests. If you notice a nest on your Arizona property, keep your distance as much as possible. Don’t go over to check it out, even if it seems as though there are no wasps around at the time.
- Provoke the Wasps – A wasp is unlikely to attack for no reason, so don’t give them one. If you keep still and quiet, they’ll likely leave you alone. If a wasp does chase you though, run away as quickly as you can in a straight line. Don’t flail your arms as you run. Keep them close to your sides instead. Finally, don’t be fooled into thinking you can evade them in a body of water. They’ll hang around and wait for you to surface.
- Remove the Nest Yourself – You should never, ever, we repeat, ever, remove a wasp nest on your own. This is an incredibly dangerous task that you should leave to the professionals. If you disturb the nest, the wasps will undoubtedly attack. This will be incredibly painful and possibly deadly.
Get Rid of Wasps on Your Arizona Property
Wasps are a common problem here in Arizona. Budget Brothers Termite and Pest Elimination has the experience to help get them safely off your property if they take up residence. We have been in this business for many years, so you can count on our team for safe, efficient wasp or pest removal.
When you notice a wasp nest on your property, stay inside and get in touch with us right away. We’ll send one of our expert wasp removal technicians out to your property as quickly as possible. Our team will alert you once your property is safe again. Call now to get started.