When we say “cockroach,” what is the first thing that comes to mind? For most people, it’s along the lines of, “Ewwww,” or “Gross.” While cockroaches aren’t the prettiest or most liked insect, we think they’re rather fascinating.
Here are 10 Fascinating Facts about Cockroaches:
- They aren’t all pests. You’re probably thinking they’re pests if they’re in your home and in that case, we would say you’re right. Of the 4,000 species, only about 30 are actually pests and only three of those species live in the Phoenix area. The rest live in the darkest forests and caves around the globe.
- They can live for a week without a head. Cockroaches have an open circulatory system and breathe through holes in each of their body segments. They only die because they can’t get food and water. The lesson is to smash the entire cockroach when you see it and then call us!
- They are smarter than we think. Researchers at the University of Arizona report that insects may have the most sophisticated brains on the planet. [Source] While the research is a bit controversial, the point is that these little critters might be smarter than we think making it important to call Budget Brothers Pest Termite & Pest Elimination to get rid of them.
- They are old. Modern cockroaches have been roaming the planet for as many as 200 million years. Their ancestors have been around millions of years longer.
- They can get BIG. Don’t worry, the world’s largest cockroach lives in South America, not Phoenix. It is six inches long with a foot wide wingspan. The average cockroach is only half to two inches long.
- They’re fast. Cockroaches can run as fast as three miles an hour meaning they can bring dirt, bacteria, and things you don’t want to think about from the outside and into your home at an alarming rate. The faster to find and get rid of them, the better for your health.
- They can swim. Don’t think putting a cockroach in the pool is going to kill it. They can hold their breath for as long as 40 minutes and can be submerged under water for up to an hour.
- They can eat almost anything. Nutritional value of “food” doesn’t matter to a cockroach because they have bacteria in their fatty tissue that digests “food” for them.
- They like to be touched. They might not be a fuzzy pet but cockroaches do love to be touched on all sides. That’s why you find them tightly squeezed in cracks and crevices. An American cockroach can squeeze into a space as thin as a quarter. Its German cousin can squeeze into a space as thin as a dime.
- They can be evicted. If you think you’ve got cockroaches in your home, it’s time to call Budget Brothers Termite & Pest Elimination to send your unwanted guests an eviction notice.
Call us at 602-253-2495 or contact us today to get rid of cockroaches and other unwanted pests!