Does anything eat termites? That’s the question of the day on the blog. Because if there’s an answer out there, millions want to hear it.
If you’ve ever contemplated getting a cat to get rid of rodents, you’d understand the psychology behind acquiring a termite-eating animal of your own. Especially in Arizona, where termites are inevitable. But not many of us want a pet aardvark or even a chimpanzee. (Those are 2 examples of termite-snacking animals.)
Continue reading for even more examples, as well as your best options for termite control in Phoenix.
What Eats Termites?
Natural predators include:
- Coucals (cuckoos)
Among what eats termites for survival, a personal favorite might be the assassin bug. The name alone reflects what we want for termite infestations. These sharp-beaked insects live only on termites. They often camouflage themselves in nest material.
Pet chickens have been trending as well. Other than chickens, we don’t want what eats termites around any more than we want the termites themselves. Plus, it would take a lot of lizards and bats to make a dent in a termite infestation.
9 Interesting, Little-Known Termite Facts
Termites are difficult to get rid of. They have been around 240 million years. That’s a good indicator we’ll never be rid of them. Their purpose is to break wood down to return it to the soil. That was a natural process, and it worked well until we began using wood to build our homes.
One of the reasons termites are difficult to eliminate is they live in colonies. Colonies can hold thousands of termites. Termite colonies have been known to span over an acre. Another reason termites are difficult to get rid of is their adaptability. They will conform to accommodate changing environments.
Here are nine interesting termite facts:
- Colonies can average between 500,000-1,000,000 termites.
- Distant relatives are roaches, an even more unpopular species of pest than termites.
- Every year, termites release about 176 billion pounds of greenhouse gases.
- The global economic impact of termite damage is estimated to be $40 billion/year. (Subterranean termites are responsible for approximately 80% of the damage.)
- Some pest control companies won’t warranty homes with spray-foam insulation. (Termites easily tunnel through rigid foam boards and spray-foam insulation.)
- Termites are Arizona’s number-one urban pest.
- These pests can’t see, smell, or taste. They choose types of wood based on the “feel” of the wood when they bite into it.
- Termites cause more annual damage than hailstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes, and windstorms combined.
- There are 288 species of termites, that we know of.
When Termites Are What’s Eating You…
Budget Brothers Termite & Pest Elimination frequently assists Phoenix real estate professionals. We work closely with other area companies to perform home inspections for buyers and sellers. Phoenix Valley real estate companies know if a termite problem exists. We’re thorough, honest, fast, and affordable. This is why we have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Let’s partner to protect your commercial or residential investment. If you don’t have a termite problem, let’s prevent one from happening. You won’t need to buy and unleash a case of assassin bugs to eliminate termites. Just contact us.