Finding bed bugs in your Phoenix home can be challenging at best due to the fact that they hide during the day. Bed Bugs enter your home through tiny cracks in your house, or on you or your pet. They’re parasitic, looking for a new host, and it doesn’t mean you’re dirty if you have them. Bed bug infestations can happen to anyone.
How to tell if you have bed bugs in your Phoenix home:
- You see bed bugs. They’re small, flat, oval, brown parasitic insects. The youngest are about poppy seed sized, pale yellow or almost transparent.
- Bed bugs feed on blood making their feces dark or rusty. You may see spots of this on walls, pillows, and around places where humans or pets like to sit.
- Shed skins of tiny bugs. While it may not be bed bugs, it’s a sure sign there’s a pest in your home that you probably wanted eliminated.
- Waking up feeling itchy or with red welts on the skin. It’s a sign you may not be sleeping alone.
- White, sticky eggs or empty eggshells. Bed bugs will feed, go into hiding for a few days to lay eggs, and emerge in even bigger numbers.
Top 10 Places You Can Find Bed Bugs in Your Home
- The Bed – They are most commonly found in or around your bed; hence their name. If you’re waking up feeling itchy and/or have red spots or welts, you may have a bed bug problem.
- Carpet – There’s a trend happening where Americans are more frequently taking their shoes off upon entering their homes. And with good reason. We’re tracking in bugs, dust, and contaminants, including bed bugs.
- Clothing and Shoes – If you commute on public transportation, you’re more likely to bring an unwanted bed bug home on your clothing or shoes. Bed bugs live on and near human environments making buses, trains, and planes a perfect hiding place.
- Behind pictures and headboards – As you’re cleaning your home, remember to vacuum in and around the bed including behind pictures, headboards, and drawers.
- Cracks and crevices in walls – Like with so many pests, bed bugs love to enter your home in places that you didn’t even notice they could enter like cracks and crevices, and other dark, quiet places, waiting for you to go to bed.
- Pets – Bed bugs are parasites, making your pets a target. Inspect your pet and their sleeping areas for signs of bed bugs.
- Used furniture – We all like to save money but buying used furniture can end up costing you more money that buying new if your “new” sofa is home to bedbugs and other pests.
- Luggage – Bring a large plastic bag with you when you stay at a hotel and keep your suitcase in it. Never let your suitcase touch the floor and perform a visual inspection of the room for bed bugs, especially in and around the bed.
- Backpacks – Schools are a rich environment for bed bugs and a host of other pests. You or your child could bring home bed bugs on your backpack or clothing and not even realize it.
- You – No one wants to think that bugs might be on them but it can happen. If you see a bed bug, wash it off with hot water and call Budget Brothers Termite & Pest Elimination.
Don’t be embarrassed.
If you suspect you have bed bugs in your Phoenix home, contact us or call Budget Brothers Termite and Pest Elimination at 602-253-2495 today to inspect and get rid of your unwanted guests.